Friday, August 24, 2012

The Hunger Games

No I'm not talking about the book or movie (actually haven't even picked up those books or seen the movie)...I'm talking about my APPETITE!  What in the world has happened?  Throughout my pregnancy my appetite stayed really consistent and even decreased a little from normal and that continued for my first 2-3 weeks after delivering Nicolette but now it's an entirely different story.  I am NEVER full!  And I am hungry ALL THE TIME!  I feel like I want to eat constantly and I'm not talking little snacks.  I try to eat my normal veggie/hummus or piece of fruit snack to see if that squashes the cravings but NO WAY JOSE...my body wants a meal and a BIG ONE!  I had heard that your appetite increases while breastfeeding and especially when pumping as much as I have been but this is ridiculous.  I can almost out-eat my husband and for those who know Dave Randazzo you can understand that that is A LOT of food!!!!

So far I haven't gained any weight (Thank you Jesus)...I managed to lose all of my pregnancy weight and then some within 2 weeks so am really hoping that the pounds don't start piling back on.  Now I say that I lost the weight HOWEVER my body does not look the same.  I have this lovely little Pillsbury Doughboy pooch that I can't wait to get rid of but I know that that isn't going to go anywhere without exercise.  I followed the Dr's orders exactly and did not exercise other than walking until 6-7 weeks.  This morning I went for my first run (and that was actually the first time that I've been separated from Nicolette for more than 15 minutes since she was born) this morning.  It was a short run - 2 1/2 miles and I don't think that I'll be able to run longer than that for a while.  I went right after I fed her and I also pumped before going and wore 2 sports bras and I was still very uncomfortable by the end of the run.  I'm hoping to be able to run in the mornings after our early morning feeding so that Nicolette can sleep and The Italian can be available before he starts working just in case she wakes up.  I also have to be careful with the exercise as over exercise and/or not eating enough calories can quickly tank my milk supply so we'll feel it out and see how it's going.

In other news I went to my first La Leche League meeting yesterday and was joined by a couple of my dear friends and their sweet babies.  It was nice to be around other mommies and to hear about different mommy-related topics.  I'm looking forward to being a part of that group each month!  My Lactation Consultant (Jennifer Corbin) is one of the leaders of the group and while I was there she took a quick look at Nicolette and said that I can start weaning off of the pumping!!!  HOORAY!!!  So instead of 8-10 times per day I can go down to 5-7 for a while and then gradually continue to taper off.  I'll probably always try to pump once or twice a day just to maintain and stockpile  milk as well.  Speaking of stockpiling...my stash is quickly outgrowing our freezer and little Miss has NO interest in taking a bottle...eeek!  We're going to try a couple of different types of bottles to see if that helps and also need to work on Daddy's confidence with the bottle.  As soon as she starts to look the least bit unhappy he gets worried, puts the bottle down and cuddles her...if that keeps up the child will never eat!  :)  Then again I've worked so hard to establish a supply so that I can nurse I'm not going to freak out if I'm not able to get her to take a bottle...I'm also happy to nurse whenever she needs it.  We can always save the milk to put in sippy cups when she's ready for those (I'm guessing 6 months or so for sippy cups, right?)

So that's life in a nutshell around here - not much free time to be had but we love it and wouldn't have it any other way!

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel the same way about eating. Once I went back to work at 9 weeks, it tapered down a little.

    Just word from experience, don't stash too much milk in the freezer like I did to find out my little one won't take it bc I have a lipase issue! Google it. It sucks!

    ReplyDelete