Thursday, August 30, 2012

8 Weeks and Counting

Nicolette will be 8 weeks old tonight at 9:20 pm and is growing by leaps and bounds.  We haven't had a weight check in 2 weeks but I stepped on the scale with her today and it looks like she weighs somewhere around 10 lbs!  I see chunky little leg and arm rolls creeping up and her cheeks are getting fuller and fuller...all this makes mommy VERY happy!  Hooray!  There's something about her that reminds me of my Great Grandmother (we called her Little Grandma because she was a tiny little thing).  Part of it is because she wobbles her head back and forth and I remember Little Grandma doing that as she got older, but I think there's also something about her face that reminds me of Little G as well...I'll have to dig up some pictures of her to compare.

During her 6th week Nicolette decided that she would start crying to let mommy and daddy know when she's getting tired.  It is absolutely pitiful.  She can barely hold her eyes open but will still cry for 5-10 minutes (once in a great while a bit longer) before falling asleep.  The only exception to this is her middle of the night feedings.  I still have to wake her 1-2 times in the middle of the night to feed and she has no trouble going right back to sleep after those feedings (Praise the Lord).  For the life of me I do not understand why babies and children fight sleep so hard...don't they know how GOOD it feels????

During her 7th week Nicolette started using her arms a LOT more!  She reached up and batted at the toys on her bouncy seat and is really focusing on looking at things like the bear mobile on her bassinet or the toys on the bouncy seat.  She'll turn her head back and forth to follow her rattle when I have her laying on her back and these are all things that she couldn't (or wouldn't) do just a week before!  Her legs are really strong...if I hold her in my lap, she'll push up to standing with her legs while her body is leaned up against me.  It's hard to believe how strong she's getting so quickly.  The saddest development is her discovery of her super power...the bottom lip.  Just before she cries she now sticks out her bottom lip for a few seconds, then it starts to quiver and then the cries are unleashed.  It breaks my heart every time I see it and don't even start with daddy...he is powerless against the bottom lip.  I'm sure she'll use this to her advantage as she gets older.

We'll see what the 8th week brings - Every day is a little different so it's impossible to set a schedule at this point.  For example I had made a reservation to go to a Mommy & Baby Yoga class today at 12:30.  I fed Nicolette at 7:30am hoping that she'd want to eat again around 10:30 and then around 1:30 when the class was finished.  Well, she sabotaged those efforts by eating at 7:30, then again at 9:30, 11, 12 and 1:30 making it IMPOSSIBLE to get to the class...I hate to back out on commitments and the old me would have totally freaked out about having to cancel last minute but the new mommy me says, "oh well, we'll catch it next time".

And the most exciting news is that this week I notified my colleagues that I've decided to become a full time stay at home mommy.  It was not a decision that was made lightly by any means.  I have absolutely LOVED my time working at The Ballantyne Hotel.  The management, ownership and staff are the best that I have ever worked with and I feel blessed to have spent nearly 5 years there.  At some point in time I know I will have to go back to work and I only hope and pray that there is still a place for me there!  While it was not a decision that I took lightly, it was a no-brainer for me.  Once we laid eyes on this precious little one there was no doubt in our minds that we both wanted me to stay home with her.  I would gladly move into a trailer in order to stay at home with Nicolette.  With how quickly she's changing I couldn't imagine it any other way.  I don't want to miss a thing!

So we'll be on to all sorts of new adventures and I guess I'm going to have to get used to wearing flats...no real need to strut around the house in my 4" heels...slippers have been my footwear of choice as of late.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment